|This photograph is taken from the foot of CHURCH STREET, Broughty Ferry, looking southwards over the RIVER TAY towards TAYPORT (formerly known as Ferryport-on-Craig), in FIFE. It is very similar to the view from the street outside Littlejohn's Land (off FISHER STREET at CHAPEL LANE - see 1881 Census). The building on the extreme left is believed to have been called Cooper's Land (corner of Fisher Street and Church Street 1881 Census).|
|This view from the lamppost on the last shot, looking east along FISHER STREET towards Broughty Castle in the far distance and the Lifeboat shed in the middle distance. On the extreme left (just in the picture) is the building believed to have been called Cooper's Land (see 1881 Census) and well in behind the fence on the left is a very old graveyard, shown on the 1901 map (see other page) as 'Dis' used. The white house I cannot identify from the 1881 Census, but between it and the 1973-built pinkish block of houses is CHAPEL LANE (Chaple Lain on the 1881 Census!). It is believed that Littlejohn's Land may have been a group of four separate multi-occupation buildings which had access from this lane and others - the census shows several households at the address. The 'pink' building is part of a 1973 development of sheltered and publicly owned houses in the area of four acres or so which were built on the site formerly of Littlejohn's Land and quite a number of other houses - including, possibly, 94 King Street.|
|This is CHAPEL LANE, or at least what remains of
it. The white house on the left is the one referred to in the
photograph above, and the block on the right is the 'pink' block also
referred to above. The next two 'layers' backwards of this 1973
development are alongside. In the distance can be seen the rear of
the houses in KING STREET which were not demolished in the 1970's, but
The stone building in the centre was the 'coffin room' or store for the old graveyard, the (locked) gate of which can be seen just to the right of the store. The original parts of this building are VERY OLD indeed. Private entry can be arranged by contacting Dundee City Council.
- Detailed information and photographs of all the stones within the burial ground appear on this website.
Part of Littlejohn's Land is believed to have been where the second and third house blocks from the right are on this photo.
|This view is taken by simply turning about 120 degrees to the right from the last shot. It shows further along FISHER STREET and the lifeboat shed. The houses in this picture are all 'protected buildings' as they represent the real 'heart' of the original BROUGHTY before it became a FERRY. The fishermen would tend their nets on the shore to the extreme right of the photo. There are quite a number of excellent very old photographs published of Broughty showing this area and its occupants, around the turn of the century 1800-1900. Note the house on the left . . .|
|This is the house mentioned above. It is situated at the junction of FISHER STREET and DUNDAS STREET. On the west side of Dundas Street, almost facing this house, it is likely that part of Littlejohn's Land was to be found.|
|This is almost the view looking back to where the last shot was taken from, looking south from DUNDAS STREET. The 'reddish' house is on your left and the 1973 development is on your right. It is assumed that part of Littlejohn's Land would have been to the extreme right of this picture. Again, in the distance is TAYPORT in FIFE.|
|Back now to where we started at the first photo, at the foot of CHURCH STREET at its junction with FISHER STREET, just outside Cooper's Land. Here we look towards the CITY OF DUNDEE in the distance The two high buildings are tower blocks of local authority houses - others can just be seen to their left. The large, nearly 600 foot high 'mound' in the centre is famous to DUNDEE - it is THE DUNDEE LAW (law being the Scots word for hill) and is, supposedly, an ancient volcano! To its left is Balgay Hill and more to the left still is the direction to PERTH about 25 miles away.|
|In the second photo above there is a distant view of the castle and the lifeboat shed - this is the 'reverse view which also gives a different angle of the view towards DUNDEE. The orange 'shape' in the river is the Broughty Ferry Lifeboat and this is where it is moored. Because it is of the latest design it cannot fit into the 'shed' and the men have to use an inflatable lifeboat to get out to the 'big boat'. The earlier photographs were taken in the area onshore to the right of the lifeboat.|
|Now, a complete 180 degree turn from the previous
shot shows BROUGHTY CASTLE, a building which has 'suffered' many changes through the many centuries since its origin.
The flagpole has the Scottish National Flag - the SALTIRE (or St. Andrew's Cross).
Old Burial Ground, Broughty Ferry, Dundee
¤ FAMILY HISTORY INTEREST ¤ NEWBIGGING
INTEREST ¤ ARLENE'S LISTS ¤ LOCAL
BUSINESS ¤ 'DOWN THE AGES'
CHURCH PAGES ¤ CHURCH MAGAZINE ¤ OLD BOOK EXTRACTS ¤ STIRLING SURNAME ¤ MONIKIE MEMORIAL HALL ¤ 'THE MONIKIE STORY'
WEB PAGES LIST ¤ SEARCH THIS WEBSITE ¤ HOMEPAGE ¤ CONTACT & EMAIL
Please press the BACK BUTTON for your previous page.
This page was updated - 09 December, 2014