Click here for opening page    Welcome to WWW.MONIKIE.SCOT, from Scotland
Local InterestFamily History Items, FOR ALL!Newbigging Photos & 'Video'1000's of names of family history interest.Locally owned businessesLocal stories of days gone by, from W.D.C.Local Church Pages'Two-in-One' Church MagazineExtracts of historical interest from old books.Stirling AND Skirling surname interest & databaseContact the WebmasterMonikie War Memorial community hallThe Monikie Story - 'READ ALL ABOUT IT' - a book available from this website.A list of the pages on this site - pick some at random!Search THIS website, but read the advice first for best results.

This page contains an edited extract from the following book. You are advised to read the original publication if you are seriously researching the content.

LAND OF THE LINDSAYS by ANDREW JERVISE F.S.A.

PAGES 114-115

SECTION II

"In truth they were as bold a race, As ever mounted steed."

It has been shewn in a previous Chapter, that the property, or parish of Lethnot, came to the Lindsay family at the same time, and in the same manner, as their great Glenesk estate, namely, through the marriage of Sir Alexander with the co-heiress of Sir John Stirling; but the district of Navar, from earliest record, has been conjoined with the Lordship of Brechin. In addition to other payments made from Navar to the church, Walter Stuart, Earl of Athole, who married the only child and heiress of Barclay, Lord of Brechin, gave an annual of forty pounds to that cathedral from his lands of Cortachy, "and failing thereof, through war, poverty, or other cause, "the sum was to be paid from the lands of the Lordship of Brechin, of which Navar formed a part.

Before entering upon a notice of the various persons who have borne the ancient title of Lord of Brechin and Navar, it may be observed, that subsequent to the time of the Reformation, Nathrow (which has long formed a part of the estate of Careston), and the neighbouring lands of Tilliquhillie were held by a family of the name of Douglas (cadets of the ancient house of Tillwhilly in Kincardineshire), while at a subsequent period Nathrow belonged to the second Earl of Panmure, and afterwards to a Charles Robertson, who was sometime tenant in Trusto. Easter and Wester Tillyarblet, which were possessed by descendants of Erskine of Dun, also belong to Careston, as does the grazing farm of Tillybirnie, which was described by Ochterlony as being "well accommodate in grass parks and meadows ;" but, with these exceptions, the whole district of Navar has been owned by the family of Panmure since the year 1634.

As regards the ancient Lords of Brechin and Navar, the first was David, Earl of Huntingdon and the Garioch, founder of the church of' the Virgin Mary at Dundee, and brother to William the Lion. Earl David had a natural son, Henry, to whom he gave this Lordship, and from the district of Brechin he assumed
his surname. Sir William de Brechin, the son of this Henry, founded the Domus Dei or Maison Dieu of that city in 1264, and was one of the most illustrious barons in the time of Alexander III, having been one of the of the guardians of Scotland in the English interest during the minority of that king. His only child, David, married to a sister of the Bruce, swore fealty to Edward in 1296, and supported the English with great ardour until 1308, when the Scots gained the battle of Inverury. On this he fled to his castle at Brechin, but being besieged by the Earl of Athole, he joined Bruce's standard, and ever after espoused his cause. His son was the fourth and last of the male line of the ancient family of de Brechin, and one of the great barons who signed the celebrated letter to the Pope at Arbroath, in 1320, asserting the Independence of Scotland; but being privy to the conspiracy of Lord Soulis, he and some of the other traitors were executed.

Sir David Barclay, who, throughout the whole war of the . .

Extracts of historical interest from old books.

LOCAL INTEREST FAMILY HISTORY INTEREST NEWBIGGING INTEREST ARLENE'S LISTS LOCAL BUSINESS 'DOWN THE AGES'
CHURCH PAGES CHURCH MAGAZINE OLD BOOK EXTRACTS STIRLING SURNAME MONIKIE MEMORIAL HALL 'THE MONIKIE STORY'
WEB PAGES LIST SEARCH THIS WEBSITE HOMEPAGE CONTACT & EMAIL

Please press the BACK BUTTON for your previous page.

The design and content of this page and website is the copyright of the webmaster (unless otherwise stated, freely surrendered, or in the public domain) and, where appropriate, may not be reproduced in any form without the permission of the webmaster.
This page was updated - 09 December, 2014