Click here for opening page    Welcome to WWW.MONIKIE.SCOT, from Scotland
Local InterestFamily History Items, FOR ALL!Newbigging Photos & 'Video'1000's of names of family history interest.Locally owned businessesLocal stories of days gone by, from W.D.C.Local Church Pages'Two-in-One' Church MagazineExtracts of historical interest from old books.Stirling AND Skirling surname interest & databaseContact the WebmasterMonikie War Memorial community hallThe Monikie Story - 'READ ALL ABOUT IT' - a book available from this website.A list of the pages on this site - pick some at random!Search THIS website, but read the advice first for best results.

Statistical Accounts for the Parish of Murroes (Muirhouses)
in Angus (or Forfarshire), Scotland
Years 1791-99 also 1842 (and later, 1950-68).

MORE Statistical Accounts in TEXT form are currently in course of preparation.  These are the First for Kinnettles and Inverarity.  If you have, or are willing to transcribe one or more please CONTACT the Webmaster.

Transcribed with page numbers from the original. Slight editing has taken place to allow for present day
publishing and webpage design - e.g. the original of the first document uses the letter 'f' in place of 's'.
The '' monetary sign replaces the original 'L'. Most differences in spelling are unchanged. Some hyperlinks have been introduced.

The best way to find all references on THIS website is to use our SEARCH ENGINE.

Graphic representations of the pages of the Statistical Accounts for Scotland (c.1799 and c.1845) are
available on-line at http://edina.ed.ac.uk/statacc.

(Back to the Statistical Accounts Index Page.)

The FIRST Statistical Account appearing on this page has considerable use of blue coloured text to signify that these 'asides' were not part of the main text.  These texts are broken-up somewhat.

YEAR 1791 - 99  - Page 161 - NUMBER XIII 

PARISH OF MURROES (MUIRHOUSES).

(COUNTY OF FORFAR, SYNOD OF ANGUS AND MEARNS, PRESBYTERY OF DUNDEE)

By the Rev. Mr ALEXANDER IMLACH.

Name, Extent, Climate, &c.

There are many places in Scotland of this name, though this is the only parish so called, perhaps from its original state; no other etymology can be ascertained.  The church and manse are situated in the S.E. corner of the parish, 5 miles from Dundee.  The parish is of small extent, a considerable part is very good arable land, some moor-ground; a moss, the property of Colonel Fotheringham of Powrie, and a valuable marl-pit, belonging to Mr. Guthrie of Guthrie.  The air is dry, and very healthy in the southern part of the parish.  Agues did prevail about 30 years ago; but the marshes being drained, they no more appear.  In the northern part of the parish the air is not so dry, mists frequently arising.  There fevers distress the inhabitants, and the harvest is 10 or 12 days later than in the southern . .

162

. . parts.  A turnpike-road goes through the parish, in a line from Dundee to Brechin, lately made, which will he of great benefit to the inhabitants.

Proprietors. - 1. The Honourable William Ramsay-Maule of Panmure, heritor of Ballumbie; where there are the remains of an old fortified castle.  This estate was formerly the property of a family, of the name of Lovell.  To one Alexander of that family, the celebrated Catherine Douglas (whose arm was fractured when attempting to stop the assassins who murdered James I, King of Scotland, in the town of Perth) was married, and lived in this castle.

2. John Guthrie, Esq.; of Guthrie, proprietor of Wester and Easter Gaigies, as also Muirhouse.  Wester Gaigie (Gagie) has been long the property of that family, where sometimes a son resided.  Their principal seat is at Guthrie, where there is an old castle, and a collegiate church, endowed by Sir Alexander Guthrie; he, or one of his successors of that name, was killed with James IV at the battle of Flowden (Flodden).

3. Colonel Alexander Fotheringham, Esq.; proprietor of Wester Powrie Myretown (Myreton), Whitehouse, Middle Brighty, and Mill of Brighty.  Wester Powrie had been a considerable time the residence of that ancient family.  They live now at an elegant seat, named Fotheringham, in the parish of Inverarity.

4. Alexander Wedderburn Esq.; of Wedderburn, formerly named Easter Powrie; his surname was originally Scrymseure (Scrymgeour, Scrimgeour ), the representative of the noble family of Scrymseure's of Dudhope (Estate) and Dundee.  He assumed the name of Wedderburn, when called to the succession of the Wedderburns of Easter Powrie, where there are the remains of an old castle, the residence of Gilchrist, Thane of Angus, from whom all the Ogilvys in Scotland are said to be descended.

5. Mr. James Ogilvy, minister of the gospel at . .

163

Essie (Eassie), where formerly a family of the name of Guthrie, the progenitors of Mrs. Ogilvy in the maternal line, resided.  The valued rent of the parish is 2,304 Scots, of which Colonel Fotheringham possesses 714: 3s.: 4d.; Guthrie, 561: 2s.: 8d; Wedderburn, 533: 6s.: 8d.; Ballumbie, 350; Westhall, 145: 7s.:  4d.  The real rent is 3 times, and more, than what it was 30 years ago.  There being no towns or villages of any extent, manufactures do not exist; a few weavers here and there excepted.

Population. - According to Dr. Webster's report, the number of souls then was 633.  The number of inhabitants is greatly diminished owing to the monopoly of farms, the mode of labouring, and the farmers some time ago discharging several of their subtenants and cottagers.  In former times, they laboured the ground with ploughs, drawn by oxen, each of these ploughs required 2 servants; whereas, they now use ploughs drawn by 2 horses, and 1 servant.  Upon 1 farm, it is known that the farmer who occupied it, at a former period, employed 13 men-servants, whereas the present tenant employs no more than 5.  Then 3 ploughs drawn by oxen were employed, and 6 horses kept; now six horses perform the whole labour; so in proportion over all the parish.  And if the proprietors of Wester and Easter Gaigies, and Muirhouse, had not let a great part of their lands in pendicles or small farms, our numbers would not have been worthy of mentioning.  The depopulation of the parish is ascertained, by comparing the present with former registers of baptisms.  In the years 1734, 1735, 1736, 1737, and 1738, the average was 24.6 baptisms yearly.  In the years 1761, 1762, 1763, 1764, and 1765, the average was 20.8.  In the years 1787, 1788, 1789, 1790, 1791, and 1792, the average is 15.5.  In that part of Easter Gaigie, which is situated in this parish (a great part of it lying in . .

164

. . the parish of Monifieth), there are 32 men and women, and 11 children under 10 years of age; of these men 7 are weavers.  In Wester Gaigie, there are 72 men and women, and 20 children; of these are 2 wrights, 5 weavers, and 1 heckler.  On the land of Muirhouse, there are 58 men and women, and 11 children; of these 8 are weavers, 2 tailors, 1 mason, 2 smiths, 1 gardener, 2 shoemakers, and 2 millers.  In the lands of Wester Powrie, the most extensive estate in the parish, and of the greatest valued rent, there are 97 men and women, and 38 children; of these 1 miller, 2 smiths, and 5 weavers.  On the lands of Wedderburn, or Easter Powrie, 40 men and women, and 26 children; of these 1 smith.  On Ballumbie, 26 men and women, and 15 children, 1 weaver.  On Westhall, 9 men and women, and 6 children.  Sum, 344 men and women, and 128 children; in all 462.

Agriculture. - About 30 Years ago, improvements began to take place, and the mode of labouring underwent a great change; then lime began to he used as a manure and the land, when let out. was sown with grass-seeds.  Formerly, after ley, two crops of oats; then giving what dung they had. a crop of barley; then oats, and let out again:  Few pease were used.  Since lime was introduced, the mode of labouring is as follows: 1st year, fallow; 2nd year, barley; sometimes, but seldom, wheat; 3rd years oats ; 4th, green crop; 5th year, barley and grass-seeds along with the barley, cut for hay one, sometimes 2 years; then pastured 2 or 3 years.  The farmers, from experience, find it more profitable to take fewer crops, both of corn and grass, viz. two years in grass, and 3 years in corn.  Before they began to improve, every farmer had a flock of sheep; now they have none.  The land being mostly open, . .

165

. . the sheep they found destroyed their grass in the winter time*.  Though the farmers labour with horses, they bring up a good many cattle; some rear 8; others 10; and some 12 yearly.  They do not bring these to market, till they are 3, sometimes 4 years old; and then they will receive for each 7 or 8 Sterling. Some farmers sow a few turnip, and feed some cattle; but this practice does not generally prevail

Character of the People, &c. - They are a sober, regular, and industrious people, and mostly employed in farming, (the few tradesmen already mentioned excepted).  In the parish there is neither brewer nor baker.  Within these 30 years, their situation is greatly altered to the better, and I can, with safety, say, that more money has been acquired by farming in this parish, and the vicinity, these 30 years past, than for 200 years before that period; though, at the same time, their mode of living is greatly improved, their houses more comfortable, and better furnished; they even use some of the luxuries of life.  I shall make one observation, (which is hardly worthy of notice): When the present incumbent settled here, which was in the year 1761, there were only 2 tea-kettles in the parish, though . .

* Though the number of servants are greatly diminished, their wages are very much increased.  About 30 years ago, a principal man-servant would have hired himself for a year, at the rate of 2. or 2.: 10s. - now they receive 10 for the same space of time.  Then a day-labourer would have hired for 3d a-day and his victuals; now they receive 1s. and their diet, for the same space of time.  Then a reaper in harvest would have been hired for the harvest for 12s. Sterling; now they will receive 1.: 10s. for the same space.

166

. . now there is scarcely a who does not use that luxury.

Poor. - In this parish, properly speaking, there are no begging poor; they are in their houses by the weekly collections, the interests of a small capital, and the rents of two galleries in the church; the heritors and their tenants being never assessed for their maintenance.  In the 1782 (sic) , when victual was scarce and high priced, and Government contributed for the relief of the poor in the north of Scotland, this parish declined receiving any part of the contribution, judging that other parishes might stand more in need of relief.

Stipend, &c. - The Crown is patron. - The stipend, communion-elements, and money for grass, (the glebe not being of legal extent), do not exceed 90. Sterling, estimating the victual at 10 guineas the chalder.  In the year 1647, one Mr. James Gardner, who was clergyman here, died.  During his ministry, several changes happened in the government, discipline and worship of the Church of Scotland, of which a short account is subjoined, and brought down to the restoration of Charles II. in the year, 1660 *.

NUM

* The General Assembly (of the Established Church of Scotland) met at Glasgow the 8th lone 1610, authorised the Episcopal government, and put a period to the first establishment of the Presbyterian form in Scotland.  The act of Assembly 1610 was afterward ratified by (the Scottish?) Parliament 1612.  This revolution was brought about by James VI at first by fair means, and under specious pretences; but at last the non-conformists were severaly (severally, severely?) persecuted.  King James had been very active to prepare the General Assembly for his purpose.  He had prevailed with the Assembly at Montrose in the year 1600, to authorise 14 ministers to vote in Parliament, not as bishops, but as commissioners from the Kirk, and on these he had settled the revenues of the 14 bishops . .

167

. . of Scotland; but by act of Assembly they were to be as much subject to their presbyteries as ever.  He had prevailed with the Assembly at Linlithgow, anno 1606, to appoint constant moderators, and each moderator was to have 100. pension from the King.  The 14 commissioners for the Kirk were to preside in the Synods.  After these and other steps, having got the Assembly at Glasgow prepared and packed for his purpose, he prevailed with them to divest themselves, and all the inferior judicatures, of that ecclesiastical power which, in former times, had been vested in them by the laws of the land; and thus this first Episcopacy was introduced in a church-way, which was an event much desired by the King, and which he had almost despaired to obtain.  It may be observed, however, that this was but a mixed kind of Episcopacy:  For, by the Assembly at Glasgow, it is expressly provided,  That the bishops, in all things concerning their life, conversation, office, and benefice, should be subject to the censure of the General Assembly.

As this alteration was made in the government, so a similar one took place in the discipline of the Church.  For, in the same year 1710, the King set up the High Commission Court, and committed the rod of discipline to them.  The members of this court were all the bishops, all the commissaries in Scotland, with many of the nobility and gentry, and several ministers.  They had power to judge in all causes that concerned religion or a moral life, either in clergy or laity.  They had no law, however, for their authority, but an act of Privy Council.  They had power to suspend, deprive, depose, imprison, banish, fine, &c..  It was a most arbitrary court, and could use the persons and properties of the subject as it pleased without form or process of law.  Churchmen had the power of the civil, and laymen that of the spiritual sword.  As by this court, the power of the bishops, so was the King's supremacy, exalted to a great height.

An alteration was also made in the worship some years after this.  In the Assembly met at Perth in the year 1681, the famous five articles, called the Perth articles, were enjoined.  These were, private communion to sick people, private baptism, kneeling at the sacrament of the Supper, confirmation by the bishops, and keeping some holydays.  These articles were ratified by act of Parliament 1621; but met with greater opposition, both in the parliament and Assembly, than the establishment of Episcopacy.  They were very disagreeable to both laity and clergy, as appears from the numbers who suffered from the High Commission Court, during 20 years, for non-conformity to Episcopacy and the Perth articles; till at last, gaining the nobility to their party, Episcopacy was rooted out with all its dependencies in 1638.  Prior to 1610, the standard of worship was the order of Geneva, otherwise called Knox's Liturgy, suited to the infant state . .

168

. . of the Church, newly emerged from the darkness of Popery.  In the year 1637, the bishops made an attempt to impose on the Church, a liturgy, or service-book, by the authority of an act of Council, without a church-law.  The opposition to which, kindled the flame which destroyed the church and monarchy, and had almost consumed the three kingdoms.

Anno 1638.  The National Covenant, otherwise called the King's Confession, being prepared, was renewed and subscribed with great joy in the Greyfriars Church by a great number of all ranks, convened at Edinburgh for that end.  The bulk of the nation having acceded to the Covenant, they obliged the King to grant them a free General Assembly and Parliament.  The General Assembly met at Glasgow, November 21, the same year.  They approved the National Covenant, and declared it to be the same in substance with that signed by King James VI and his household, anno 1581.  In this Assembly, all the General Assemblies after the Year 1605 were declared null, the High Commission Court, the Book of Canons, their Liturgy, the five articles of Perth, were declared unlawful; the 14 bishops were all either deposed or excommunicated, except three who accepted of single charges.  They restored the Presbyterian government and discipline as at first.

Next year, the General Assembly met at Edinburgh, Aug. 17, and with the consent of the King's Commissioner, condemned Episcopacy as unlawful.  They appointed the Covenant to be subscribed and sworn to by all his Majesty's subjects in this kingdom, of whatever rank and quality.  All these acts were ratified and confirmed by Parliament in the King's presence, anno 1641.

Upon renewing the National Covenant, the civil war began between the King's party and the covenanters.  The first blow was struck at the bridge of Dee, and a victory gained by the Earl of Montrose, at the head or the men of Angus and Mearns, for the covenanters.

Anno 1643. The form of the Solemn League and Covenant between the two kingdoms of Scotland and England, having been prepared by the committees of the General Assembly, the Convention of Estates, and the Commissioners sent from England for that effect, was unanimously approved by the General Assembly at Edinburgh, August 17, that year.  It was also approved by the Convention of Estates of Scotland, as also by the Assembly of divines at Westminster, and both Houses of Parliament, and on the 30th of October, sworn to and subscribed in the High Church of Edinburgh, by the commission of the Church, the Committee of Estates, and the English commissioners, who had staid at Edinburgh till the Covenant was sent up to London and returned again.  Their peremptory orders were then dispatched to all presbyteries to cause the Covenant to be . . 

169

. .sworn to and subscribed to by all the professors of the Reformed religion, and by all his Majesty's good subjects.

In the Solemn League, the government of the Church of Scotland is secured, their loyalty to the King declared, but limited with their religion and liberties, and they are bound to extirpate Popery and Prelacy in both kingdoms; yet they are not bound expressly to introduce Presbyteries into England.  In this particular, the sectarians outwitted the Presbyterians.  For, though the Episcopal government was totally abolished in England, yet the Presbyterian never was thoroughly settled in that kingdom.  In a word, the design of the Presbyterians in the Solemn League was to introduce an uniformity between the two kingdoms in doctrine, worship, and church-government, and they made considerable advances in that work, but the Independents and Sectarians had no such design.

In 1643, the Assembly of divines sat down at Westminster.  They continued their sessions four or five years, and corresponded with our Assemblies and their commissions.  Our Assemblies sent Commissioners to the Westminster Assembly.  In the first year of their meeting, they agreed on propositions as to church government, and the ordination of ministers, which were approved by our General Assembly.  But as to the directory for worship, the Westminster Assembly, as appears by their letter to our Assembly, did not advise it to be so strictly imposed, as to make it unlawful to recede from it in any thing.

The Westminster Assembly agreed on a Confession of Faith, in 1647, which was approved by our Assembly met at Edinburgh, August 3, that year.  They agreed also on the Larger and Shorter Catechisms, which was approved by our Assembly in 1748.  Thus these two Assemblies carried on the work of Reformation and Uniformity, in so far as both churches agreed in their principles concerning doctrine, worship, and government.  But after the year 1648, no more progress was made in this intended uniformity.  Our divisions in Scotland, and the prevailing power of the sectaries in England, put a final stop to all these designs of uniformity and reformation in both kingdoms.

King Charles I being at this time prisoner in the Isle of Wight, the Parliament of Scotland demanded, that the King should he liberated, and brought to London in safety and honour, and that religion should be established an England according to their covenant and treaties, and for this end appointed an army to be raised of 30,000 foot and 6,000 horse.  The General Assembly insisted, that he should be obliged to settle religion in his dominions according to the covenants.  Both parties were loyal, and for the King's liberation, but differed on the terms.  The Assembly made an act, commanding all ministers to preach against engaging in war with England, . .

170

. . as a breach of the Solemn League.  The Parliament made an act to the contrary.  The ministers were very much embarrassed, but such as obeyed the Assembly were safest.

The Parliament sent their army into England. under the command of the Duke of Hamilton.  They were defeated at Preston, August 17, by Cromwell.  This was called the unlawful engagement, and all who did engage in this war were obliged, by act of Assembly next year, to make public satisfaction for their offence.  These offenders performed their penance without repentance; so that, by this piece of discipline neither the interest of religion nor of the church was much advanced.

Anno 1649, January 30, King Charles was basely murdered by Cromwell and the sectarian party.  This execrable fact was detested and abhorred by all the Presbyterian party, who by no means acceded to it, though it be falsely and maliciously imputed to them by some.  They lost a fine army, fighting for the King when a prisoner; and before he was brought to his trial, they, by their Commissioners at London, gave in their protestations against his trial; and upon the melancholy event of his death, called home his son, and set the crown on his head.  The General Assembly, in their letter to King Charles II, dated August 6, 1649, have these words: 
"We do from our hearts abominate and detest that horrid fact of the Sectaries against the life of your Royal father, our late Sovereign, so it is the unfeigned and earnest desire of our souls, that the ancient monarchical government of these kingdoms may be established and flourish in your Majesty's person all the days of your life, and may be continued in your Royal family.''
Cromwell defeated our army at Dunbar and Hamilton, and in the year 1633 raised the General Assembly, and suppressed that court during his administration, but allowed Presbyteries and Synods to meet.  The Church's loyalty to the King and Royal Family was very shocking to the Usurper.  They had brought home the King and crowned him at Scoon
(Scone), January 1, 1651, having settled with him their claim of right, or the terms of his government.  But the Usurper prevailed, and drove the King out of the island, and forced the whole kingdom into a subjection to his most arbitrary government.  The Church stood firm and unshaken in their loyalty to their exiled King and the monarchy, praying for him by name in the face of the English soldiers, and exerted to themselves to the utmost for his restoration, and when the oath of the Tender was urged, abjuring the King and Royal Family, all of them, as is said, Mr. Sharpe excepted, refused it.

The best way to find all references on THIS website is to use our SEARCH ENGINE.

(Back to the Statistical Accounts Index Page.)

591

PARISH OF MURROES.

PRESBYTERY OF DUNDEE, SYNOD OF ANGUS AND MEARNS.

THE REV. JOHN CURRIE, MINISTER.

I. - TOPOGRAPHY AND NATURAL HISTORY.

Name, Boundaries, &c. - This parish was formerly called Muirhouse, - a name indicative, it should seem, of the waste and uncultivated state of a large proportion of the land, in ancient times.  It is now universally known by the name of Murroes, which is doubtless an abbreviation of Muirhouse.

It is irregular in figure; 3 miles in length, and generally some what more than 2 miles in breadth.  The parishes of Dundee and Mains form its boundary on the south; Mains and Tealing, on the west; Inverarity and Monikie, on the north; and Monifieth, on the east.

Topographical Appearances. - The land almost invariably assumes an undulating appearance, and the acclivity, especially towards the northern boundary, is not inconsiderable.  The greater part of the parish has a highly cultivated and pleasing aspect.

Hydrography. - There are two rivulets connected with the parish, which joins the Dighty (Burn) at no great distance from its influx into the Tay.  They serve to put in motion several thrashing and corn-mills, and a small one erected some years ago for spinning flax.

Geology. - This parish possesses few attractions for the geologist.  There is, it may be mentioned, a plentiful supply of excellent freestone, of which the strata range nearly from east to west and beds of whinstone rock or the trap family are extensively diffused. - No plants of the rarer species have been noticed.

There is no great diversity of soil.  Black loam, incumbent upon rock, gravel. or clay, predominates.  A considerable portion is deep, active, and fertile; the remainder is light, and much less productive.

592

II. - CIVIL HISTORY.

Eminent Persons. - It would scarcely be proper to pass in silence the name of Mr. Robert Edward, who was Episcopal minister here in the reign of Charles II., though a high rank cannot be claimed for him among men of eminence.  He was a man of merit, and well versed in classical literature.  In the year 1678, he published a succinct history of Angus, written in pure and elegant Latin, in which we are presented with an account of the leading families of the county, and a description of various places of note within its precincts.  In the descriptive part of this curious and unique performance, he discovers great vivacity of fancy, and a marked and amusing partiality to his native county, which he praises with unsparing liberality.

Landowners. - The number of proprietors is five: Thomas Frederick Scrymsoure Fothringham (a minor) of Powrie; John Guthrie, Esq. of Guthrie; Frederick Lewis Scrymgeour Wedderburn, Esq. of Wedderburn and Birkhill; John Millar, Esq. of Ballumbie; and George Ogilvy Ramsay (a minor) of Westhall.

Parochial Registers. - The register of births and baptisms commences in 1746, and that of marriages so late as 1808.  The records of the kirk-session extend back to the 30th March 1698, on which day Mr. James Marr, the first Presbyterian minister after the Revolution, was inducted to the pastoral care of this parish.  They appear to be kept with tolerable distinctness and regularity.  The cases of discipline, it may be remarked, which were pretty numerous in the earlier part of the last century, are set down with a needless and offensive particularity.  The morals of the people in those days were not so pure and irreprehensible as some "laudatores temporis acti" are willing to believe.

In the eventful year 1715 (Jacobite rising), the leading heritor of the parish, as appears from the records, made a bold and extravagant display of attachment to the ill-starred House of Stuart, and predilection for Prelacy.  The parochial minister having refused, as was to be expected, publicly to pray for the Pretender as the legitimate sovereign of these realms, and to recognize King George in his capacity of Elector of Hanover, only drew down upon himself the high displeasure of this flaming partisan, who resolved to make him feel the effects of his resentment.  He despatched, accordingly, a body of armed men, by whom the refractory minister was excluded from his church, and a clergyman of the Episcopal persuasion introduced auto his pulpit . .

593

. . who conducted Divine service for several Sundays in succession, to the no small annoyance of the bulk of the parishioners.  The discomfiture of the insurgents at Sheriffmuir put an end to this bold intrusion.

Antiquities. - The only memorials of the feudal times are the remains of three old castles, which, however, present no remarkable peculiarities either in structure or situation.  Powrie is the property, and was long the residence, or the ancient family of Fotheringham.  Wedderburn, which is nearly levelled with the dust, is said, at a remote period, to have been the residence of the Gilchrists, - the powerful Thanes of Angus.  And Ballumbie was the seat of a family of Anglo-Norman extraction of the name of Lovel, which has long been extinct.

A tradition prevails that Catherine Douglas, a personage of great celebrity in ancient Scottish story, was espoused to the heir-apparent of the last-mentioned. family, and dwelt in the castle.  This lady merited and has obtained unqualified applause for the bold and magnanimous, though unavailing, resistance she offered to the conspirators who assassinated the ablest and most estimable of the Stuarts, King James I. of Scotland, in the Blackfriars monastery at Perth.  Gagie is a secluded, sombre, and pleasing old place, amply shaded with trees.  It belongs to Mr. Guthrie of Guthrie, a gentleman of ancient descent, who occasionally passes a few days there.  The house was built so long ago as the year 1614.

Modern Buildings. - The House of Ballumbie, the residence of Mr. Millar, is substantial and commodious.  It stands in an agreeable and well-sheltered situation, and commands a fine prospect towards the south.

III. - POPULATION.

According to Dr. Webster in 1755, the population amounted to 	623
			By last Statistical Account (c.1798), 	462
				By the census 	1821,		629
						1831, 		657
						1841, 		736

The increase of the population is, no doubt, mainly to be ascribed to the improvements in agriculture, which have been prosecuted on rather an extended scale for a series of years, and the steady employment afforded to labourers at several valuable freestone quarries, which have been opened in the neighbourhood at a comparatively recent period.

The yearly average of births for the last seven years is 19; of marriages, 4; and of deaths, 6.

594

IV.-INDUSTRY.

Agriculture and Rural Economy. -

The number of Scotch acres in the parish - 
	cultivated or occasionally in tillage, is	3,300
					uncultivated,	  195
	capable of being cultivated with profit,
			  		not ascertained.
				in undivided common,	    0
		under wood, all of which is planted,	  150

The rent of the best arable land is 3:15s. per acre, Scots; and of inferior arable land from 1 to 2.  The annual rent of the parish is about 6,000 a year.

Rate of Wages. - Males engaged in agriculture obtain from 10 to 14 annually, and females from 6 to 7.  Labourers receive 1s. 8d. per day in summer, and 1s. 6d. in winter, not including victuals; masons and carpenters, 2s. 6d. in summer, and 2s. in winter.

Husbandry. - Husbandry is in a state of growing prosperity.  The improved system is universally adopted.  Draining is well understood, and practised according to the most judicious and unexceptionable methods.  A few of the fields are enclosed with hedges; the generality with substantial stone dykes, which are deemed preferable.  Many of the farmhouses and offices are convenient and respectable; but some of them are still defective in accommodation and comfort  The tenantry are skilful and industrious, and the landlords are considerate and liberal.  A variety of breeds of cattle is to be found in this quarter; but the common Angus breed is in greatest request.

Produce. - The gross yearly amount and value of raw produce raised in the parish, as nearly as can be ascertained, are as follows : -

111 acres of wheat, at 11 per acre,	1,221  0s. 0d.
363 	  of barley, at 7:1Os.		 2,722 10s. 0d.
838	  of oats, 7,			 5,866  0s. 0d.
320 	  of turnips, at 7,		 2,240  0s. 0d.
168	  of potatoes, at 10,		 1,680  0s. 0d.
470	  of new grass, at 4,		 1,880  0s. 0d.
880	  of old pasture, at 1:10s.,	 1,320  0s. 0d.
 40	  of clean fallow,		     0  0s. 0d.
Uncultivated pasture, 			    80  0s. 0d.
Thinnings of wood,			    40  0s. 0d.
Dairy produce,				 1,500  0s. 0d.
					---------------
Total value or raw produce.		18,549 10s.0d.

V. - PAROCHIAL ECONOMY.

Market-Town. - The nearest post and market-town is Dundee, which is five miles distant from the church.  It is almost superfluous to say, that the vicinity of this flourishing place is of incalculable advantage to this locality.  Here, there is a growing demand . .

595

. . for every species of farm produce, and a plentiful supply of every thing requisite for agricultural and domestic purposes.

Ecclesiastical State. - The church is a plain and old-fashioned building.  It stands on a pleasant spot, encompassed with lofty trees, in the south-east part of the parish, and at the distance of three miles from its western extremity.  It is supposed to have been built prior to the Reformation, but the date of its erection is unknown.  The aisle seems to have been added to the original building in the year 1642.  The church is in tolerable repair, well-seated, and affords accommodation for about 400 people.

The seats occupied by the tenantry and their families are generally annexed to the lands which they possess.  A few pews belong to the kirk-session; and one of the galleries, with the consent of the heritors, is let for the benefit of the poor; and the proprietor of Powrie allows the rent of some unappropriated pews in the aisle, which is his exclusive property, to be applied to the same benevolent purpose.  The average number of communicants is 280, and divine service is generally well attended.  There are few sectaries in the parish.

The manse, which was built in 1811, and repaired in 1832 is now sufficiently comfortable and commodious.

The glebe rather exceeds five acres of good land, which may be estimated at 15 a year.  There is an allowance of 1:13s.: 4d. in lieu of pasture, which the present incumbent has not hitherto claimed.  The stipend is, of money, 106: 14s.: 8d.; of wheat, 3 bolls 1 firlot; of barley, 28 bolls 3 firlots; of meal, 45 bolls 3 pecks.  The average amount of stipend for the last seven years, converted to money, is 180 a year.  The Crown is patron.

Education. - The parochial school is generally well attended.  All the ordinary branches of education, also the Greek and Latin languages, are taught very successfully.  The salary of the schoolmaster is 34: 4s. 4d.; the fees and his emoluments as session-clerk may probably amount to 26 annually.  He is provided with more than the legal accommodations.  There are no persons in the parish above six years of age unable to read.  The people, generally speaking, are alive to the benefits of education, and show a laudable anxiety to have their children instructed in every essential branch.

Poor. - The number of persons at present receiving parochial aid is 6.  The average allowance to each is 4s. monthly; besides, . .

596

. . they receive occasional supplies in cases of emergency, and always an annual sum for coals.  It may be added, that the kirk-session is extremely willing to tend a helping hand to deserving individuals or families involved in temporary difficulties.  The poor certainly discover much less disinclination to seek for parochial relief than in former times.  Still, the spirit of independence is not wholly extinct.  There are no assessments for the ordinary poor.  The heritors defray the expense of supporting an insane man who lives with a private family.  They also contribute 10 Sterling yearly towards the payment of the board of a pauper lunatic in the asylum at Dundee.  The deficiency is supplied from the ordinary funds.  Annual amount of collections for the benefit of the poor, 27; dues of mortcloth, 3:10s.; seat rents, 7:11s.; interest of a capital of 100 is 4; total 42: 1s.

Alehouse. - The parishioners, generally speaking, show no disposition to encourage the multiplication of public houses.  There are only two in the parish, which are frequented chiefly by wayfaring people.

Fuel. - The fuel principally in use is English coals, imported at Dundee or Broughty Ferry.

1842.

The best way to find all references on THIS website is to use our SEARCH ENGINE.

(Back to the Statistical Accounts Index Page.)

In time, the Third Statistical Account of this parish may appear here.

The best way to find all references on THIS website is to use our SEARCH ENGINE.

What might be referred to as the most recent Statistical Account of the Monikie Parish is the book,
'THE MONIKIE STORY', by Rev. W. D. Chisholm, former minister of the parish.

LOCAL INTEREST FAMILY HISTORY INTEREST NEWBIGGING INTEREST ARLENE'S LISTS LOCAL BUSINESS 'DOWN THE AGES'
CHURCH PAGES CHURCH MAGAZINE OLD BOOK EXTRACTS STIRLING SURNAME MONIKIE MEMORIAL HALL 'THE MONIKIE STORY'
WEB PAGES LIST SEARCH THIS WEBSITE HOMEPAGE CONTACT & EMAIL

Please press the BACK BUTTON for your previous page.

The design and content of this page and website is the copyright of the webmaster (unless otherwise stated, freely surrendered, or in the public domain) and, where appropriate, may not be reproduced in any form without the permission of the webmaster.
This page was updated - 09 December, 2014